Loans and grants are available to vulnerable or disabled people and families with children, on a low income. They are for carrying out essential repairs, improvement works and disabled adaptations (Disabled Facilities Grants).
Loans to finance home energy efficiency measures are not subject to low income or vulnerability criteria. Grants available for this type of work will be subject to low income and vulnerability criteria.
If you don't qualify for grants or loans we may still be able to provide advice.
West of England Care and Repair can help you apply for loans and grants and provide expertise and support if you are facing bigger building works or repair jobs.
Disabled Facilities Grant
A Disabled Facilities Grant helps you pay for adaptations such as stairlifts and walk in showers. The maximum grant is £30,000.
- Call Asist Team on 01225 396000 to ask for an Occupational Therapy (OT) assessment.
- The OT will assess your needs and decide what adaptations are necessary.
- A Housing Officer from the Council will arrange a home visit to check that the proposed works are reasonable and practical. They will help you with your application.
The OT can also provide non means tested equipment such as a commode, perching stool, raised toilet seat, chair or bed raisers or arrange minor alterations (rails or small ramp) to help you:
- Climb your stairs
- get on and off your chair, bed or toilet
- get in and out of your bath
- get in and out of your home
Home Improvement Loan
A Home Improvement Loan helps home owners pay for essential repairs that make their home safe to live in. The maximum loan is £15,000
You must be either over 60 or have a disability or a long term limiting illness or have a child 18 or under.
- Call Wessex Resolutions CIC to ask for a home improvement loan assessment
- An officer from Wessex Resolutions CIC will arrange a home visit to see if the repairs qualify. They will assess your application and offer a choice of payback options. The interest rate is 4.4%.
- Loans are subject to approval by Housing Services at The Council
Home Energy Loans
- Residents of Bath and North East Somerset who are owner occupiers, regardless of their vulnerability or financial circumstances may qualify for an energy efficiency loan from Wessex Resolutions CIC
- Wessex Resolutions CIC will assess applicants' financial circumstances to determine if they can lend and how much
- Loans are subject to approval by Housing Services at the Council
- Call our Home Energy Advice Line on 0800 038 5680 for advice on installing loft and cavity wall insulation and energy efficiency improvements and to access the loans application process
Wessex Resolutions CIC
They are a Community Interest Company who works in partnership with Bath and North East Somerset Council as well as with other Councils in the region. Established in 2002 as a 'not for profit' organisation, they provide low cost finance to home owners for essential maintenance and improvement works.
- For more information go to www.wrcic.org.uk
- Contact them on 01823 461099 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Affordable Warmth Grants
- Affordable Warmth Grants may be available towards essential heating and insulation measures.
- To access these grants call our Home Energy Advice Line on 0800 038 5680.
Urgent Repair Grants
An Urgent Repair Grant helps home owners pay for repairs needed to prevent an accident or ill health, for example to fix a broken boiler or to repair dangerous electrics. The maximum grant is £1,000
You must be either over 60 or have a disability or a long term limiting illness.
- Call West of England Care and Repair on 0300 323 0700 to ask for an Urgent Repair Grant
- An officer from Care and Repair will arrange a home visit to see if the repairs qualify
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.