A Short history of the Guildhall
The earliest reference to a Guildhall in
The Old Guildhall and covered market, apart from obstructing traffic, soon proved to be inadequate to the needs of the growing city. After a number of false starts, the new Guildhall, designed by Thomas Baldwin, was finally completed in 1778.
In 1891, John McKean, the Scots architect who was also responsible for the design of the concert room extension to the Pump Room, added two wings to include additional council offices and a technical school. The
The Register Office is based inside the Guildhall and can offer ceremonies within their ceremony rooms, please click here to see the Registration Ceremony Rooms.