If you work from home, the part of the property used for your work may be subject to non-domestic Business Rates.

If the part of the family home used for work is solely used for business purposes, we can consider the area as a separate assessment to your domestic Council Tax account. Whether it’s a separate room within a house, or a garage, the space can be given a rateable value by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and be brought into the non-domestic ratings list.  

Once it is added in to the national non-domestic ratings list, the assessment will then be liable for Business Rates.  

However, if for example the work space is in a room which also doubles as a living space or a bedroom; this can’t be assessed separately and would continue to be included under the domestic Council Tax assessment. 

More information about working from home and Business Rates is available on the GOV.UK website.

For further advice, or to register your property for non-domestic Business Rates, please contact the Business Rates team.  



Help us improve our website

We would like to improve our website navigation. Help us understand how people find our services.

Take part

Become a website tester

If you would like to be contacted by a member of our team to help us understand how people use our website please leave your details below.


To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.7 (3 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.