To ensure everyone is treated fairly and consistently, all councils must follow government guidelines laid down in the Care Act 2014, to establish who is eligible for social care and support.
The Care Act introduced a national eligibility threshold in April 2015 which is made up of the three criteria listed below, ALL of which must be met for a person’s needs to be eligible for care and support.
We use these guidelines to decide whether a person is eligible for care and support following a care and support assessment. The eligibility threshold is based on identifying:
1. Whether a person’s needs are due to a physical or mental impairment or illness
2. To what extent a person’s needs affect their ability to achieve two or more specified outcomes*
3. And whether and to what extent this impacts on the person’s wellbeing
*The two or more specified outcomes that help us determine eligibility are:
- Managing and maintain nutrition
- Managing personal hygiene
- Managing toilet needs
- Being appropriately clothed
- Being able to make use of the home safely
- Managing a habitable home environment
- Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
- Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
- Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community (such as public transport and recreational facilities)
- Carrying out any caring responsibilities the parent has for a child
We have to consider whether as a consequence of the person being unable to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes there is, or is likely to be a significant impact on the person’s wellbeing. In making this judgement we will look to understand the person’s needs in the context of what is important to him or her.
If you don’t meet the eligibility criteria we will still provide you with information, advice and signposting to helpful and supportive services which can improve your situation.
If you think you or someone you know meets the three conditions then please get in touch by calling one of our care advisers at Sirona Care & Health on 01225 396000, option 2 and tell them about your needs (or the needs of the person you are calling for).