When you need legal advice, it can sometimes be hard to know where to start.

If you are an adult with additional needs, legal issues may come up in a wide range of situations. For example, you may be experiencing discrimination at work, you may have a problem with your landlord, or you may want to draw up a legal document like a will or arrange for someone else to handle your affairs.

Find out more about getting an advocate and what happens when people need support to make informed choices.

If you have a family member with extra needs, you may want to ensure that they have somewhere to live. You can arrange this with a solicitor through a discretionary trust or by arranging for them to stay in the family home. Find out more about housing for people with extra needs.

You can search for local private solicitors on the Law Society website – look for firms that specialise in family law. If they cannot help you with all your needs, they will usually be happy to refer you to another solicitor who can help.

There are specialist solicitors for older people and people with care and support needs, find out more.

Find a legal adviser with a legal aid contract here

The Disability Law Service provides information and advice to people with disabilities and their carers.

The Avon & Bristol Law centre provides legal support to people with care and support needs who could not otherwise afford access to justice. 

Contact Mencap Wills and Trust team on 020 7696 6925 or email willsandtrusts@mencap.org.uk

Find the information or support you are looking for on Wellbeing Options - a website containing lots of useful information about local care providers, clubs, services and activities, along with links to other useful websites and resources.

Help us improve our website