If you are looking into what kind of care and support you need, you may well also be wondering how much it is all going to cost. Depending on your income and assets, there are various ways that care and support can be paid for.

If you are finding day-to-day life difficult, get in touch for some information and advice about care and support to make life easier. If you have already been told you have eligible needs then we will do a means test to work out what (if anything) you need to pay towards your care and support.

If you are not eligible for council support, then you are what's known as a self-funder. If you are a self-funder there are ways to finance care which you may not have considered. This page will outline some of your options. You should also seek independent financial advice to help you work out financing your care. For detailed information sheets, on financing care see 'where can I get help' on this page.

The cost of your care will depend on the type of care you need. Once we have given you some information and advice about the care and support that might help, we may need to do a means test to work out whether we will fund some or all of your care.

As an example a place in a residential care home is the most expensive kind of care, costing hundreds of pounds a week. It is always worth researching alternatives like care at home or adapations to your home to work out what will best meet your needs and budget. You can contact care homes and care at home agencies in the area to ask them about their costs. Visit our page about sheltered/extra care housing to find out how much this might cost.

Look in the where can I get help section below to find detailed information sheets about paying for care.

How much you have to pay for your own care depends on your needs and your financial circumstances.

You will have to pay:

  • for residential care if you have assets and income (including your property) greater than £23,250
  • for care at home if you have assets or income (excluding the value of your property) greater than £23,250

If you are finding day-to-day life difficult, find out how to get information and advice about care and support to make life easier.

Even if your financial situation means that we won't fund your care, we can help advise you on the care and support that might suit you and what services are available. The difference would be that you would cover the cost of your own services rather than using council funding. If you have to pay for all the costs of your care, you are called a 'self-funder'.

Have a read of our Guide to Non-Residential Charging Policy for Social Care Services in Bath & North East Somerset  

Even if you are paying for your own care you may be entitled to some benefits. For example:

- If you are disabled and aged under 65 you may qualify for a Personal Independence Payment.
- If you are over 65 you may qualify for Attendance Allowance.

If you are not already claiming one of these benefits contact the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 or the Disability Benefits Centre on 08457 123456.

- If you are aged over 61 you may be entitled to pension credit. Call the pension service on 0800 023 4888 to find out if you are eligible.

- If you are paying for your care in a nursing home, you can ask your GP whether you might qualify for NHS funding for the nursing part of your care. This is currently set at a weekly rate of £156.25 and will be paid directly to the home, so you will need to talk to the home about reducing your fee.

- If you think you may be eligible for continuing healthcare, contact the Continuing Healthcare and Funded Nursing Care team on 01225 831534.

If you have been told you have eligible needs, your support plan will outline the kind of care and support that will suit you best. This may include getting support for care at home, food, getting out and about, or help to access employment or education. The financial support will come as a personal budget and your services may be arranged by us or paid to you as a direct payment.

If you are finding day-to-day life difficult, find out how to get information and advice about care and support to make life easier. If you are found to have eligible needs, and you are on a low income then you will receive funding to pay for your care and support.

If you are already receiving care and support but you are finding it hard to make ends meet, talk to your care coordinator about it.

You may also be eligible for benefits, call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 or the Disability Benefits Centre on 08457 123456 to find out more.

Few of us will have the income or funds to pay for our ongoing care needs. You may want to look at selling or remortgaging any property you own to fund your care.

Deferred payment agreements are  a way to help pay for residential care if you own your own home. These are loans from the Council which you pay back either when you choose to sell your house or after your death. Find out more and apply for a deferred payment agreement by reading this guide (F3) for people moving into a care home who have a property.

We are currently working out the application process for deferred payment agreements, email us at my_caremysupport@bathnes.gov.uk to register your interest.

From April 2020, a ‘care cap’ is being introduced which will limit the cost of care. 

The cap does not include:

- the costs of accommodation associated with care
- nursing costs
- a nationally agreed ‘daily living cost’ (which will include expenses like rent, food and utiliites that you would face even if you didn’t have care needs).

 NB: Any care costs incurred before 1 April 2020 will not count towards the cap amount.

If you are struggling with day-to-day life, find out how to get information about care and support. The adviser you speak to will be able to let you know whether you will get any help paying for the care and support you need.

An Emergency Duty Team is available to help deal with crises in people's care, or with any welfare emergency involving adults, children and families that occurs outside normal office hours. Tel. 01454 615165

To find out if you are entitled to any benefits call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 or the Disability Benefits Centre on 08457 123456 or contact the Citizens' Advice

Contact the Society of Later Life Advisers on 0845 303 2909 for information about local care cost advisers in your area.

Research the cost of care by contacting individual residential care homes and care at home providers.

Visit our page on sheltered/retirement and extra care housing to find out more about the cost of that option.

The following information sheets can assist with the process of going into a care home and provide a guide to the financial assessment process. This includes guidance for how financial assessments are carried out, guidance for people going into care who own their own property and further information around dealing with someone’s finances. The information sheets are grouped by topic and each information sheet has a code number, for ease of reference.

Care information

Finance information


Help us improve this content