The Youth Offending Service takes most of its referrals from Police and the Courts, and provides the following services:
- Compass Project for young people aged 8 - 17 at high risk of offending
- Advice and support for young people involved in anti-social behaviour
- Appropriate Adults provided by Youth Appropriate Adult Service - telephone: 0117 9036480
- Bail Supervision and Support
- Court Duty
- Court Reports
- Supervision of young men and women subject to Reparation Orders, Referral Orders, Youth Restortive Disposals and Youth Rehabilitation Orders. And a range of community Orders including Fines, Conditional Discharges and Absolute Discharges.
- Work with young men and women subject to Detention and Training Orders and Section 90/91 and resettlement support when they return to live in the community
- Youth Cautions and Youth Conditional Cautions
- Intensive Supervision and Surveillance for young people who offend persistently
- Work with parents/carers, including those subject to Parenting Orders [except those made via the Education Act]
- Restorative Justice work, services to victims using restorative approaches
- The Local Authority produces an annual Youth Justice Plan which sets out details of how services are to be provided and resourced.
The Youth Offending Service is a multi-agency team, managed within the Children’s Services Department, and includes staff from Health, Police, Probation, Education, Social Care and Connexions. The team has been fully operational since April 2000 and works with children and young people aged 10 – 17, and their parents/carers, to prevent youth offending. Services are also offered to victims. Local responsibility for the Youth Offending Service rests with Bath and North East Somerset Chief Executive. Nationally, the work of the YOS is overseen by the Youth Justice Board, which, in turn, reports to the Home Secretary.
The YOS and Compass are based at:
Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
Office opening hours: Monday to Thursday - 8.30am – 5pm Fridays - 8.30am – 4.30pm
To talk to someone about Youth Offending, contact us on (01225) 396966, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
To talk to someone about Compass, contact (01225) 396990, email Compass@bathnes.gov.uk