Food officers are part of the Health, Safety & Food team and they are here to ensure that food produced and sold within the Bath & North East Somerset is safe to eat. Food Safety legislation is enforced in a wide range of businesses, from corner shops to large supermarkets; from takeaways to large hotel complexes. These pages give guidance to food businesses on how to comply with legislation, as well as advice and assistance to people at home who have questions or problems with food safety.
The main areas of activity are:
- Food hygiene and safety inspections
- Dealing with complaints about food and food businesses
- Investigating possible cases of food poisoning
- Promoting food safety
- Advising local businesses about food safety issues
Facts and figures. In an average year we will
- Inspect approximately 1500 food businesses. The vast majority of these businesses are satisfactory, however, a small number will be closed immediately because they are a risk to public health.
- Investigate around 120 food complaints and 750+ other service requests.
- Receive notification of 300 cases of food related illness.
- Food Business - Food Safety Inspections
- Advice, Guidance and Service Requests
- New Business Support Information - (Including Food Business Registration Form)
- Food Hygiene Training Courses in Languages Other Than English
- Infectious Diseases - Including Food Poisoning
- Food Hygiene Rating System
- Business Advice - Setting Up and Running a Business
- Starting a new food business - the Food Standards Agency provides useful information and advice on starting a food business
- FSA Food Alerts
- A shopping basket survey of chocolate that ‘may contain nuts’
- Food Information Regulations - Allergens
- Food Law Enforcement Delivery Plan
The Health, Safety and Food team are part of the Public Protection Service.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.