The Home Library Service
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer. Without the help of volunteers, the Home Library Service would not exist.
Please read the FAQs below to find out more about how you can apply and what you will be doing.
- How does the Home Library Service work?
- Who can volunteer?
- Can I claim any expenses as a volunteer?
- Can volunteers request items for readers?
- What the library service expects from volunteers.
- What volunteers can expect from the library service.
Volunteers visit their local library at times arranged between the reader and the volunteer. Volunteers collect items from the library and deliver them to their readers. These are issued on a ticket which is given to the volunteers. On delivery, the previous items are collected and returned to the library.
Anyone can apply to be a Home Library Service volunteer. Please visit the Volunteer Centre Bath & North East Somerset website or download the application form under 'Documents' on the right. You will need to fill in the application form, and give the names of two referees. Once the references are received, the volunteer co-ordinator will invite you for an informal interview. Your details will be sent off for a Criminal Records Bureau check.
This role will suit you if:
- You are a lover of books and like to talk about them.
- You are enthusiastic about libraries and understand the personal impact of not being able to access them.
- You enjoy talking to others in a social context.
- You are concerned about the social isolation of some housebound people.
- You have a few hours a month to make a positive difference to other people’s lives.
Mileage and parking expenses can be claimed using the expenses forms from the volunteer co-ordinator. There is also a mileage claim for bicycles. For current rates please ask The Equal Access Staff.
Library Volunteers Expenses Claim Form (PDF 223 KB)
Library Volunteers Expenses Claim Form (Word 244 KB)
Readers are encouraged to request as many specific titles as possible for free. You can place reservations in the normal way at any library or online.
- To collect and deliver books to your reader (this is often monthly but could be slightly more frequently or less often, depending on the requirements of the reader). Visits will be at a mutually convenient time.
- To select appropriate material for each reader.
- To request specific items from the library if required by the reader.
- To respect the confidentiality of their readers and not to compromise their safety.
- To claim mileage payments regularly.
- To ensure that you car insurance covers voluntary work.
- To co-operate with Health & Safety and Equal Opportunity requirements.
- To wear Bath & North East Somerset identification badge on all visits to housebound clients.
- To inform the volunteer co-ordinator if you have any concerns about the work involved with the Home Library Service.
- To receive a personal introduction to all your readers and a reader profile outlining what sorts of books they like reading and in what format (ordinary print / large print / audio).
- To provide assistance in selecting material if required.
- To maintain volunteer and reader records at the library. A print out of all items on loan is always available on request.
- The facility to check loans, and to make reservations and renewals online is available by using the borrower number and PIN number.
- The facility to use any B&NES library to borrow items (although this may need the reader’s card details to be copied to your chosen libraries in advance).
- To provide relief volunteers when necessary.
- To organise an opportunity for all volunteers to get together at least once a year.
- You can claim expenses.
- Please note: All the library requires the volunteer to do relates directly to the provision of a library service to housebound people. Any further activities carried out by volunteers for their readers is their sole responsibility. The library service can take no responsibility for this.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.