A key part of Bath’s Enterprise Area, Bath Quays South will offer exciting spaces for the digital, technology and creative companies who can deliver the right type of jobs for Bath’s economic future. Development of the site will be enabled by a collaboration between the Council as landowner and regeneration specialist TCN. Connecting both sites with a new pedestrian and cycling bridge will mean that Bath Quays will become a central business area which will provide a solution to Bath's long-term shortage of high quality office spaces.
A project team was formed in early 2016 to design and implement Bath Quays South and Bath Quays Bridge. The project team has consulted with landowners as well as statutory and representative stakeholders.
Detailed plans for Bath Quays South and Bath Quays Bridge were made available for public viewing and comment from 8 - 16 September 2016 at various locations in Bath City Centre and online. This feedback informed the preparation of the planning application which has now been consented, it can be viewed at www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathQuaysSouthPlans
The key components of the scheme include:
- Refurbishment of the listed building (Newark Works) to create a 4,530 sqm innovation and digital campus providing workspace for creative businesses in affordable short-let commercial units
- One new Grade A office building at 5,017 sqm
- Two buildings for residential accommodation/specialist office use to accommodate up to 5,027 sqm of residential space and up to 193 sqm of retail space (outline planning consent only)
- Completion of flood defence and river walls, new public spaces and landscaping
- A new pedestrian and cycling bridge (under a separate planning application, now approved)
It is envisaged that building work could begin in Summer 2017 with the office building completed by the end of 2018. The Newark Works regeneration will be undertaken simultaneously by TCN and is also anticipated to be completed by the end of 2018.