School meals have changed over the years. Menus are compiled to offer children an imaginative range of interesting dishes and are planned and prepared to a healthy and high standard.
What's more, since 1st September 2014, all pupils in Reception, year 1 and year 2, in state funded schools in England, qualify for Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM).
Please register all primary and secondary aged pupils (including those in Reception, year 1 and year 2) for free school meals if you are in receipt of qualifying benefits. Registration will attract additional funding for your child’s school for Pupil Premium (£1,320 per Primary pupil and £935 per Secondary pupil for the financial year 2015-16). Please visit GOV.UK for more information about Pupil Premium Funding for schools.
You can register your entitlement for Free School Meals - Eligible by Benefit (EBB) if :
- you have children who attend a school in Bath and North East Somerset*, and
- you are in receipt of any of the qualifying benefits listed below.
Qualifying benefits for Free School Meals:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, without any Working Tax Credit, and an annual household income (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) that is not more than £16,190
- Run-on Working Tax Credit which is only paid for 4 weeks after you STOP qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- During the initial roll out of the benefit – Universal Credit
How to register
- Download and complete the Free School Meals Registration Form and email it back to us at email@example.com
- Call the Free School Meals helpline on 01225 394317 to make a telephone registration. We will need you to tell us your National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seeker Support Number when you call.
- Print and complete the Free School Meals Registration Form and post it to: Children’s Service Finance, Free School Meals, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
Please note that the Local Authority will check your initial and on-going eligibility to qualifying benefits on your behalf using the DFE online Free School Meal Eligibility Checking Service. Your National Insurance or National Asylum Seeker Support Number and Date of Birth must be completed clearly and accurately.
Changes of circumstances
If any of the following changes in circumstances occur, please advise the Free School Meal team:
- Immediately if you stop receiving any of the qualifying benefits
- Immediately if you start receiving Working Tax Credit
- if an additional child is starting school
- if you move house (please also tell the school(s))