The Council is responsible for the maintenance of some 1150km of adopted highway within its boundaries. In addition to maintaining the existing infrastucture we also spend around £5m per year in developing the network to improve safety, accessibility, and to ease congestion.
Management of the adopted Highway is split into Maintenance of existing Highway infrastructure and Improvements to the Highway Infrastucture. All electrical highway equipment is maintained by Highway Electrical. A list of common issues for each are shown below.
- Roads - damage or obstruction
- Pavements - damage or obstruction
- Drains and drainage
- Highway licences
- Road markings and signage
- Overhanging vegetation
- Street naming and numbering
- Winter maintenance - Gritting
- Road works
- Traffic Sensitive Streets
- Carriageway Resurfacing Programme
- Abnormal loads
- Traffic Schemes
- Department for Transport Emergency Funding
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.