Traffic signal responsibility
The Council is responsible for the maintenance of 100 signal sites within its boundaries and these include:
- Signal junctions
- Pelican, Toucan and Puffin crossings as well as their connection to the Urban Traffic Control System (UTC)
Within Bath and North East Somerset there are two traffic signal sites that are situated on a trunk road. These sites are the responsibility of the Highways Agency and are maintained by Atkins Skanska. These sites are:
- A4/A46 Batheaston By-Pass Roundabout, Bath
- A36/B3108/Brassknocker Hill, Limpley Stoke
Bath and North East Somerset are, however, responsible for the co-ordination of the traffic signals at the A4/A46 Batheaston By-Pass roundabout with the traffic signals on the London Road.If you have any queries regarding faults at either of these traffic signal sites please contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 1235000 or email email@example.com.
Applying for Temporary Traffic lights
Please view our Temporary Traffic signals licence page for details.
Duties of the council
The following duties are carried out by Bath & North East Somerset Council:-
- Provide and/or approve designs for new traffic signal installations within the Bath and North East Somerset area from feasibility studies to implementation and commissioning.
- Advise on technical aspects of any contract requiring provision of traffic signal equipment.
- Take, record and action everything necessary to effect the speedy repairof any traffic signal equipment faults reported to Bath and North East Somerset.
- Administer the Maintenance Contract for repair of all signal equipment.This is currently with Siemens Traffic Controls.
- Check on the standard of any completed repairs.
All queries received by our customer help service (on 01225 394041) will be logged onto a database, and you will be given an enquiry number for your query. All reports will then be passed to our maintenance contractor who are required to react within our agreed response times.