Friends of our Street – a toolkit for residents wishing to help reduce the visibility of rubbish and keep their streets clean
Would you like to help keep your street or neighbourhood cleaner? We have put together a toolkit for residents who would like to improve their local area by advising/reminding their neighbours how to keep the area clean and by reporting any problems to the Council.
- What you can do to help
- Background information on how to recycle properly and keep your area clean
- Useful links
Read up on our services to find out more
- Scroll down to Background information on how to recycle properly and keep your area clean to find out how we expect people to deal with their waste
- Go to Rubbish and Recycling collections to find out more about what you can recycle, how to separate your waste and order a container
- Like our Facebook page for latest updates and tips - go to www.facebook.com/recycleforbathnes
Talk to your neighbours
- Remind them how much they can recycle, how to separate their recycling and how to order a container (go to Recycling and rubbish collections for more information).
- Explain how the Council expects people to put their waste and recycling out properly (go to Recycling and rubbish collections for more information).
- Give them copies of our leaflets (see below)
- If you street has a Facebook page maybe put reminders on this
- Visit new arrivals to your street to make sure they have information on our recycling and rubbish service
- Direct residents to our text reminder service to help them remember when to put their rubbish out. This service will run for 3 months, starting from 6 November.
Post information that you think will help
Download the following leaflets from this page. If you cannot download them, we can send you copies on request.
- Please keep our neighbourhood clean and tidy leaflet – guidance on how to put your waste out properly, with space to write the name of your street and your collection day.
- Please keep our neighbourhood clean and tidy recycling and rubbish reminder note – reminder note with tick boxes to highlight any specific problems that may need rectifying, including space to write the name of your street and your collection day.
- Welcome to your new every other week rubbish collection service – details of the new rubbish collections and how to make the most of your recycling collection service
- Where a household continues to present their waste badly and it is causing problems, such as mess on the street, report the issue to Council Connect firstname.lastname@example.org 01225 39 40 41.
- If you would like to organise a litter pick in your area, please go to Organising a litter pick.
Setting your waste out properly
- Please put your recycling and rubbish out by 7am on your collection day (or after 8pm the night before)
- Please put your rubbish in a Council wheeled bin or re-usable rubbish bag
- Please make sure you can fully close your bin/bag lid. Do not put extra rubbish bags next to your bin/bag as we will not collect them.
- Put your containers at the front edge of your property where they can be easily seen and please leave enough room for people to walk past your containers.
- Don't let litter blow from your containers - put a lid on your box if it's windy
- Bring your containers back in on your collection day. Do not leave re-usable rubbish bags or boxes on railings or steps.
- Make sure that you separate the different items that go in your recycling box and rinse out food and drinks containers. Where you have space use 3 boxes – one for paper and glass (and other items), one for cans, plastic and foil and one for card (or use your existing blue bag for card). Please order more recycling or food waste containers online by going to www.bathnes.gov.uk/orderacontainer or contact Council Connect email@example.com 01225 39 40 41.
- Your rubbish collection is only for items that cannot be recycled. Please make sure that you make full use of the green recycling box, food recycling bin and garden waste service.
- Do not put out large or hazardous items and please make sure that sharp items or broken glass are wrapped thoroughly before putting out for your rubbish collection, to prevent injury.
- If you have a re-usable rubbish bag you must not put loose waste into these bags. Put your rubbish into tied black sacks first. Do not put the waste in loose or in carrier bags as we will not collect them.
- Do not dispose of your household waste in or by litter bins.
Recycle all you can
Please make sure you use your recycling containers for the following items:
- Food – in your food bin - you can put your food in plastic bags, newspaper or compostable liners. Your food is recycled into electricity and biodiesel.
- Paper (most types including newspapers, magazines, catalogues, envelopes, wrapping paper)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Cans, tins and aerosols
- Plastic – any bottle plus pots, tubs and trays used to hold food
- Clothes, shoes and accessories
- Small electrical appliances
- Batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges, spectacles, engine oil and car batteries
- Cardboard, brown paper and cardboard drinks cartons
- You can subscribe to our chargeable wheeled bin collection service or you can buy Council paper sacks. Please go to Garden Waste and Compost to find out more.
For more information on how best to use our recycling and rubbish collections, please go to Recycling and rubbish collections.